Friday, October 9, 2015

Sports and The Mindset to Success


http://www.funonline.in
As you may know, I am a tennis player and as a competitive sports athlete I have a mentality that helps me through life and tennis. Tennis helps me organize my thoughts, goals, and emotions. Playing a competitive sports teaches athletes how to maintain control over different situations, whether these situations are seen in everyday life or sports specifically. Competitive sports athletes acquire the mentality to succeed in their sports as well as life.
Athletes may learn the determination and focus to achieve personal goals. Goals must be set in order  to feel accomplished. All people set goals on an everyday basis, whether these people are athletes, students, doctors, or cashiers. Success is gained by achieving these goals and moving on to next goal. According to Kirk Mango, a physical educator, former coach, and author, states in his article called “Sports: The Benefits of Competitive Sports Participation In Today’s Sports Climate” that athletes develop the mindset to success by “[developing] good time management skills, [creating] strategies for improving their skill set, [building] a strong sense of focus and concentration, [developing] internal skills for handling pressure, [learning] how to take calculated risks, and when not to, and [taking] responsibility for ones success or failure” (Mango) Athletes learn how to develop all the mental skills to succeed in their actions and goals. They use these skills in order to improve their performance and end up with skills that can help them for the rest for the rest of their lives.
I have noticed these improvements in my school work, productivity, mentality, and tennis. I have realized the importance of a solid mindset from tennis. Competitive tennis requires an extreme amount of focus, emotional control, and determination. Once mental slip during a match and all of a sudden you can be losing. It is important to stay focused on the goals in tennis as well as life. Achieving goals is what make us success people.

I plan to research about how competitive sports affect the physical everyday well-being of athletes.

6 comments:

  1. I liked the way that you connected this to your life because you play tennis competitively and you understand most of this stuff because you have gone through it already. I also like the way that you connect this to other sports too not just tennis.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with the point you made about how sports help you in your everyday life because I also play a sport and it has helped me tremendously. Not only has it helped me mentally, but it helps me with time management and discipline. I think this is a good topic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with the point you made about how sports help you in your everyday life because I also play a sport and it has helped me tremendously. Not only has it helped me mentally, but it helps me with time management and discipline. I think this is a good topic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like how you connected your research to your personal life. It is interesting that athletes tend to succeed more in life because they attain life skills from their sport early on. I have heard about employers who seek college athletes because of what you stated in your blog. Similarly I have read an article on why being a college athlete is beneficial and gives an advantage when applying to medical school. From my own experiences playing volleyball, being an athlete has taught me time management and hard work as well as many other life skills

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like how you connected your research to your personal life. It is interesting that athletes tend to succeed more in life because they attain life skills from their sport early on. I have heard about employers who seek college athletes because of what you stated in your blog. Similarly I have read an article on why being a college athlete is beneficial and gives an advantage when applying to medical school. From my own experiences playing volleyball, being an athlete has taught me time management and hard work as well as many other life skills

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a good post about making sure that you have the right mindset as you go through life. I like how you made success seem like a step-by-step. You talk about it you first need to set your goals, then achieve them, and then move onto the next goal.

    ReplyDelete