Thursday, November 12, 2015

Disadvantages and Advantages of Competitive Sports

http://photos.demandstudios.com

I wanted to research how highly competitive sports affect athletes’ well being because I am a competitive athlete myself. I have noticed certain benefits and disadvantages of being a competitive athlete and wanted to research other advantages and disadvantages. The future well being of an athlete interested me because most people are athletes when they are children and teens, but when they become adults many of them don’t continue their sport. I was very curious if playing a sport led to a more successful and happier life as an adult.
I found that any sort of exercise can help an individual succeed and become physically and mentally stronger. These strengths lead to a happier and less stressful life which is the ultimate goal for most people. Competitive sports teach athletes to cope with stress, help them gain confidence, and make new friends. A more social life can lead to more connections later in life and good social skills. However, I did find some disadvantages of playing competitive sports. Some athletes experience extreme levels of pressure due to coaches, other athletes, parents, and spectators pushing them and judging them. I also found that kids with very forceful parents tend to experience lots of stress. I have experienced the same causes of stress but I have learned to deal with it and move on. There are pros and cons to playing a sport, but in the end I think that being a competitive athlete benefits individuals more than it hurts them.  

1 comment:

  1. I thought is was interesting to see some cons of competitive sports because I always thought that it was all positive things like dealing with pressure and gaining confidence on and off the field.

    ReplyDelete