Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Timeless Advice




https://i.ytimg.com/vi/9X6z0PDLePE/maxresdefault.jpg

In my last post I talked about factors outside of personal aspects that can alter the chances of success, such as pure coincidence. My next source does pretty much the exact opposite. The novel How to Win Friends and Influence People author, Dale Carnegie presents ideas about ways that a person can alter their personal traits in order to make others like them. He also address social situations and the ability to convince others during them. He does this through the use of various principles.
  • Begin with praise and honest appreciation
  • Call to attention people’s mistakes indirectly
  • Talk about your own mistakes before criticizing the other person
  • Ask questions instead of giving direct orders
  • Let the other person save face
  • Praise the slightest improvement and praise every improvement. Be “hearty in your approbation and lavish in your praise”
  • Give the other person a fine reputation to live up to
  • Use encouragement. Make every fault seem easy to correct
  • Make the other person happy about doing the thing you suggest
I think that these are very applicable to day to day actions but I would have to say that between Outliers and How to Win Friends and Influence People, I think that the factors determining the overall well-being of a person are more affected by surrounding events.
In my next and final blog post I’ll be concluding all of my research as a whole of factors of success and the importance it can have.

No comments:

Post a Comment